Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Advent Wreaths Take 2

Here's a peek at the family dinner table advent wreath, complete with Gaudete joy and hypo-allergenic LED candles.

I've been avoiding the 24/7 Christmas music radio stations with their round-the-clock emotional manipulation. Instead, I like to find Yuletide references in unusual places. Lately I've been hooked on the Goo Goo Dolls' (I know, I know) 2005 song "Better Days". This isn't your usual pop mash-up of "Presents/Christmas/Yeah Yeah/Snow, baby snow/Saaanta/Presents/Yeah Yeah" Or yet another skanky cover of the date-rape special "Baby It's Cold Outside."

Instead, the lyrics make oblique yet authentic references to what Christmas is all about: sin, redemption, and the possibility that the world can improve.


'Cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings

And designer love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days....



So take these words and sing out loud

'cause everyone is forgiven now
'cause tonight's the night the world begins again







1 comment:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one who dislikes Baby It's Cold Outside. It IS a date rape song! "Say, what's in this drink?"

    Hmm, let me just get her drunk so I can have my way with her.

    ReplyDelete