Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Unicorns in Our Midst: 21st Century Virgins

"Being a Virgin in this day and age is something to be proud of; you're like a unicorn."  - Shirley to Annie in Season 1 of Community

This week the Bright Maidens blogging group is reviewing TLC's new series "The Virgin Diaries." I have only two positive things to say about the show.

First, the historian in me is pleased TLC has documented so many subculture groups, religious and not, for posterity. In a century or so, someone will give a conference paper about how agnostic post-modernity liked to gawk at Mormon polygamists, Muslims in Michigan, homeschooling Arkansas residents with 20 kids, and those rare 5-10% of American adults who have never had sex. Did these Millenial viewers lump such fringe groups in with little people, toddler beauty queens, and wedding dress consultants?

Second, watching the trailers for this show made me very grateful for Theology of the Body. Normally I resist the Catholic cliches chastity explanations that are basically OMGJP2TOB!!1!11! But when I got nauseous seeing that newlywed couple awkwardly chewing each other's faces off, I couldn't help but think they needed to read some Love and Responsibility.

Our lips, our hands, our bodies, and our sexuality are part of our God-given human dignity. They are not dangerous, uncontrollable temptations to keep at a ten-foot distance so we can brag about how careful our courtships are. Marriage is more than just a license for intercourse, just as chastity is more than keeping one's legs crossed until vows permit unbridled release of all that pent-up tension.

So yeah, I was a little annoyed at TLC's editing that found drama in every facial expression and double entendres in playground equipment. But mostly I was angry at the yahoos who decided to broadcast their most personal lives on television, making a mockery of something that is precious, and sadly, rare.

I'm 26, and I am part of that virgin 5-10%. You might not realize when we unicorns (or mermaids) walk among you, because most us don't act like maladjusted circus freaks. Neither do we walk around wagging disapproving fingers at our peers who haven't made the same life choice. We have social lives, creative interests, and affectionate dating relationships. The only thing that makes us different is our commitment to a difficult spiritual and physical goal that challenges who we are at our very core.

Chastity is something I have to choose every day. I don't choose it because I am afraid of sex, or of getting pregnant or an STD. I don't choose it just because it's honorable, or how my parents raised me, or because I've been told it's a sin. I don't choose it just so my wedding night (a few brief hours of my life) will be special. As Bing Crosby says in White Christmas, "That's not good, but it's a reason."

Ultimately, I have to make this choice for myself, because I believe it will make me a happier, holier person in the long run. It has a to be a lived acknowledgement of the divine transformation I believe happens in the Sacrament of Marriage. It has to be an integral part of my relationship with God, who loves me first and most.


As  agnostic-turned-Jew-turned Episcopalian-turned-chastity enthusiast Lauren Winner described it,

"Remember that God desires your person, your body, more than any man or woman ever will."






6 comments:

  1. You knocked it out of the park, Sarah!! This is so well put!

    I, too, am angry at the participants on the show, though I hope they had good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! Part of me feels kind of bad because who knows how much editing went on. If you noticed none of them really said anything about their religion/faith. I almost wonder if they had and it was edited out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you read this review by Anna Broadway. She hits the nail on the head (and echoes your sentiments).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I LOVED your post! You said it right. People often think we choose this path out of fear or because it's what we've been told but, like you said, it is part of our journey to holiness and to God. I, too, was annoyed that those people decided to do this show in the first place. For "American Muslim" they get smart, successful, well-rounded people who can articulate their faith and reasons for their faith choices. We get see-saws and face-chewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!!
    Fulton Sheen describes purity as "reverence for mystery." It is "such a reverence for the mystery of creativeness that it will suffer no schism between the use of the power to beget and its divinely ordained purpose... The thing that God has joined together, the pure would never separate." Purity is not out of prudery: "The pure are shocked at the impure because of the prostitution of the sacred; it makes the reverent irreverent. The essence of obscenity is the turning of the inner mystery into a jest."
    Quotations from Fulton Sheen's book, Three to Get Married. I highly recommend this book. It should be on everyone's pre-marriage reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I just found your blog, and just wanted to say that the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs from the bottom were dead on - I'm pretty sure I've used those exact words in the past. Great to hear it from someone else. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete