Thursday, January 26, 2012

Christian knock-offs?


1 En 8, from Louboutin's fall collection. 
Have you heard about the designer shoe lawsuit in court right now? Christian Louboutin wants to trademark the signature "China-red" soles of his high heels. Yves St. Laurent recently made an all-red shoe with red soles, and insists that designers should be free to use whatever colors they want.

Personally, I think the all-red YSL shoe is not a big deal, but overall I side with Louboutin since the red soles look cool. If Tiffany's can have a signature blue, why not a signature shade of red? This case has major implications for issues of intellectual property and creative licensing blah blah blah. It's also an excuse for editorials with terrible puns and footnoted legal references to Sex and the City 2.

Recently I discovered some designer knock-offs that made me say "Whhhhaaaa?" They weren't at Forever 21, they were in a religious goods catalog. That's right ladies, you can now buy designer Jesus totes for your next Bible study meeting.

Louis Vuitton becomes "Love"

Gucci becomes "God"

And, my personal favorite for preposterousness...

Juicy Couture becomes "Jesus Christ Born to Save"

There's also a spoof of Tiffany's and a Fendi/Faith pattern. All images are from Autom.com, a generally reputable Catholic wholesaler.

Are these fooling anyone? Are the sellers in on the joke? Whom are these for? Would you buy one of these? 

I just....I dunno. It might make the women in your fellowship group chuckle, but anywhere else you would just look like a poser with a cheaply made bag. 

Sure, Christian parodies of corporate logos are nothing new. "Lord's Gym" tshirts have been around since I was a kid. Today you can also get "Faithbook," "Jesus/Reese's," and "God is my [Guitar] Hero." Some college friends and I once dreamed up an ill-fated Gatorade spoof design for "The Eucharist: Is it In You?"

I feel like such things are a fun inside joke for youth group meetings or service trips, but they won't actually "engage THE CULTURE," as they say. Christians are capable of brilliant satire and beautiful design. Let's not settle for cheap imitations of frivolous consumerism. Juicy Couture has a flagship store a block down from St. Patrick's Cathedral, and I think it's clear which landmark will endure longer. 







5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think they can be funny but I would never wear them, nor do I know anyone who would. I think they're more mock-able that they are helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I remember going to my first Franciscan University summer conference, rocking my "Alleluia" t-shirt that was written in the style of the iconic Coca Cola words, of course.

    I think these things are great in the youth group setting. Teens love them. But beyond that, nah. I wouldn't wear them or have them now.

    Too funny about the Lord' Gym shirts. When I was in my high school youth group, back in the early 90s, all the cute guys had those Lord's Gym: His Pain, Your Gain shirts with the hand with the nail and blood on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nooooooooooo! http://www.vchristianstore.com/christian-t-shirts/parody-shirts/hii-saved-me-shirt?zenid=67fc2ce58a8ddda3ab22d10de0971f68

    My kids made a Jesus mii for our Wii so when they are playing Wii baseball, or jogging or something, suddenly Jesus will go biking by. I have to think He gets a kick out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah Maria that is hilarious. Do they let the "huggable Jesus" doll man the controller for that one?

    I remember liking that Alleluia shirt too.

    ReplyDelete