Friday, January 13, 2012

7 Quick Takes Volume 16

--- 1 ---
Total "Ladies of Finance" workouts I have attended this week: 3. My legs are sore, but I feel accomplished. Maybe our resolution will last into February ;-)
--- 2 ---
My family has been reading and discussing Gary Smalley's book Making Love Last Forever and the personality profile quiz in it. Now I can't help analyzing whether people I meet are assertive "lions" (choleric/Type A), playful "otters" (sanguine/extrovert), conflict averse "golden retrievers" (plegmatic), or hardworking and precise "beavers" (sort of melancholic, IS in Myers-Briggs). (I am almost an even split between lion/GR/beaver, apparently.) Has anyone else read this book? Did you find it helpful?
--- 3 ---
Lately I've become a big fan of Get Religion, which does a great job of discussing media coverage of religious topics. It's refreshingly astute. There's not incessant whining or Christian infighting about politics. Instead, there's an appeal for journalistic excellence and accurate definition of terms. It's almost like Fr. Z and John Stewart collaborating. Check it out.
--- 4 ---
My hot wings project was fairly successful. Baked wings with Frank's Red Hot were of course not as crispily delicious as those fried in a restaurant. On a whim, I also tried a dry spice rub too that turned out to be a huge hit! Now I want to put that smoky/sweet/savory blend on every meat in my Mom's freezer.
I wish LSU's plays had been as good as all the food we ate. 

--- 5 ---
If you'd rather look at pictures of historic things than my dinner, I just posted a recap of last year's field trips on my museum blog.
Sofa and inlaid table in the White House Red Room

--- 6 ---
A former executive at my company just dropped by for a meeting, and everyone just lit up when they saw him. He's definitely one of the most considerate, well-grounded, kind people I have ever met - a true example of Christ's love. That's the kind of witness this introvert needs to work on.
--- 7 ---
I still prefer Blogger for its simpler menu, but I'm glad it's been introducing some of Wordpress' features. Now you can reply to comments in a thread! (Why was this not a no-brainer?) I love hearing from readers, and I'm glad this will help me respond to your comments effectively.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. Mike is definitely a lion. I think I may be part otter and part retriever. Not sure.

    We were just talking about this over Christmas--not the book, but the old school choleric/sanguine/phlegmatic/melancholic quiz I took in high school. I think I got sanguine back then.

    ReplyDelete