Monday, February 22, 2010

Breakin' dishes up in here



This is a "waster" aka ceramic fail from 1600's Delft, Holland. Clearly something went wrong in the kiln with this pile of plates.

So obviously we are in ceramics block right now at school. I will be honest - ceramics were just about my least favorite when we started. I loved our attempts at using a pottery wheel, but otherwise I thought 50% of this stuff was hideous or boring or both. Earthenware, stoneware, pearlware, it's all the same to me. Also, I would never, ever, ever put a porcelain figurine in my own home.

Now, a few weeks later, I have to admit that I have, as usual, learned a lot and am way better at understanding what I see. A room full or vases or plates is not as tortuous as it once was.

But sometimes, maybe when I am holding a teapot over the classroom table covered in plates and jugs, I still wonder what kind of noise would result if I dropped it. Or threw it against a wall. Or drop it down the stairs. Clearly I have curatorial issues. At least Rhianna agrees with me that breaking dishes could be a lot of fun.


2 comments:

  1. I love that expression, "curatorial issues." Is that an official term for "destructive tendencies" in conservation rhetoric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah I'm not sure. But we do euphemize things a lot. Fake flowers in the period rooms are called "permanent botanicals."

    ReplyDelete