Monday, February 8, 2010

London Week 2: We survived!


London: It's over. It's so good to be back in the USA, but we had a great time squeezing every last drop of material culture out of London. In spite of: a 2 mile sprinting death march to make a lunch reservation, 3 horrid colds, 1 sprained ankle on the stairs at Hampton Court, 4 bone-chilling tours of unheated houses, and 20 inches of snow greeting us when we got home. We stayed a team to the very end, with a group effort to dig out the cars in the museum parking lot.

Well, actually, we didn't see it all. For every curatorial storage room or church nave I saw, there are three more galleriesI haven't seen yet. For now, I am thoroughly museum-ed-out. I even had to skip the Friday trip to Greenwich, I was so exhausted. In true introvert fashion, I will need time to myself to sort pictures and ponder everything I saw.

Jet lag hasn't been too bad. Despite a nap I am still pretty tired today - right now it's 1:30am in London! Last night I tried to keep myself awake with that all American spectacle, the SUPER BOWL!

I've been lucky to vicariously enjoy the thrill of the past two Super Bowl victories. Last year on e of my housemates was a lifelong Steelers fan, and by January she had us all literally singing Pittsburgh's praises. This year my NOLA native beau has been educating me about the religious and social significance of the Saints' phenomenal season. Who dat?

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home! Ain't the snow purty????

    It is so cool that you can say you sprained your ankle at Hampton Court. Isn't that alone worth the trip? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it home safely! Sounds like an amazing trip. I'm sure you'll always remember it. I sprained my ankle in Capernaum ;) No fun while you're trying to tour around, but sure makes for a great story! Welcome home, Sarah!! Hope your semester is off to a good start!!! xx trix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah!! That's really funny Sarah, my roommate this year is also a huge Saints fan.... I'm learning to love football whether I want to or not.

    ReplyDelete