Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Modernist Monday - Kids Edition

The other day I had the TV on as I was getting ready to head to school, and a show called Willa's Wildlife came on. It seemed like a generic cartoon about a girl and talking animals, but then I got a look at her house. Wow! The home was full of angular, clean lines and furniture with mid 20th century flair. It was a little reminiscent of the Brady Bunch home, but it was also unique and fun. There was much more attention to detail than in some other animated shows. (As the oldest of five kids I have seen plenty of programming rated Y.)


I did a little Googling and discovered that Willa's Wildlife is a relatively new show that originated in Canada and Australia. Kids book An Octopus Followed Me Home by Dan Yaccarino is the basis for the concept. The fun architecture and interiors are the work of artist Adrian Thatcher, whose blog provided these images. He recently won a daytime Emmy Award for his art direction. I say, keep up the great work, and keep exposing kids to good design!





No comments:

Post a Comment