Friday, October 22, 2010

Off to Colonial Fantasyland!


From 30 Rock, episode 205: “Greenzo” (Via the splendid Kirsten.)

Ohhh CW. It's not an actual time capsule, but rather a conversation about "suspension of disbelief," "public history and memory," and the Colonial Revival. When anthropologists write a book that discusses the decision to leave horse poop in the streets, you know you are in an alternate universe.

This August The Beau was a trooper and let me drag him all over town, but I could tell part of him was skeptical. Why on earth were my college friends and I so excited to walk down a street of not-actually-historic buildings in 90 degree heat?

I think because we are happily brainwashed by our experiences there. No matter how much time I have spent in Williamsburg, it never disappoints. Part of my heart will always reside in that little colonial hamlet-turned college town and haven for retirees. That is where I first lived on my own, where I became an adult, where my life changed dramatically. It's where my friends and I made tons of memories that we'll relive at Homecoming this weekend.

Plus, my little sister is now a costumed interpreter intern in CW! So we'll frolic down the pseudo-historic street singing this song.




2 comments: