Monday, December 13, 2010

Gaudete!

Today is Gaudete Sunday, when we light the pink candle and rejoice that Christmas is near. I for one am really excited to give some special people their presents! They are pretty great, if I do say so myself. I can't wait to see everyone's reactions.I'm also rejoicing because tonight my Dad helped me fix my computer after it had been attacked by spyware.



Another local parish, St. Mary Magdalene, has a tiered Advent wreath. (They are unfortunately also fond of banners, the art form that 1970s and 80s Catholics worshiped instead of statues.) 



I'm also warming up to listening to Christmas music. Here's The Cherry Tree Carol, a quirky Christmas ballad that I grew up hearing on the Peter, Paul, and Mary Christmas album. It's a 15th century tune that gets quite poignant about Joseph's confusion at Mary's pregnancy. I always thought asking for some fruit was a slightly awkward way to announce there's a baby on the way, but I hear snacks are pretty crucial when you are preggers. Either way, it's a sweet and lovely song.

No comments:

Post a Comment