Friday, May 20, 2011

7 Beginnings and Ends

Happy Friday!  Since my graduation is only a week away, this installment is going to be about some of the many "lasts" and "firsts" I'm currently experiencing. Many thanks to Jen for hosting the 7 Quick Takes linkup at Conversion Diary.

1.Tonight I turned in my last graduate school paper. Ever. It felt so surreal. Then my art history professor fed us tacos and pickled cactus, and it was delicious.

2. Last night I worked on said paper by pulling what I hope is my last almost-all-nighter in a long, long time. I've been avoiding graduation emotions, but as I turned off the library lights at 1am there was this sudden bittersweet feeling that it was the end of an era. I might shed a tear when I return all my books next week. 

3. On Monday I'll go on my last grad school field trip.We'll be touring the White House and Capital Building. This will be my first time seeing the inside of each, despite having grown up near them.

4. I got a new camera! Ever since my old Olympus died last summer I've been yearning to have a "real camera" again.My little point-and-shoot has taken good close-up images, but it makes me feel like I'm at the mercy of it's little buttons instead of in control of the situation. So, I took advantage of the magical, wonderful part of grad school known as "professional development funds" to buy a Nikon d3100. 

Check out this inefficient packing. Great job Sears, I am now the proud owner of  gallons of Styrofoam peanuts.



After I got over my initial buyer's remorse, I was delighted to see how well the camera handles both close up and action shots.

 



My first time shooting with my new toy was also probably the last time The Beau and I will have a date strolling around the museum grounds. I should send the gardens paths a thank-you card for being such a fun, free activity in the early months of our relationship.


5. My sister started her first museum summer job this week. I'm so excited for her, and can't wait to hear how this colonial farm work turns out. I'm imaging she'll get really buff carrying pails of water and hoeing crops. 


6. This just in: The Beau completed and passed his second and last Ph.D comprehensive exam! I am so glad his tough academic year is done, and I'm so proud of him I could burst.

7. Finally, I am pleased to announce that I have...drumroll please...a NEW BLOG! Chasing Claudia Kincaid is named for the heroine of From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, one of my all-time favorite books. This blog will focus on my thoughts about museums, art, and material culture, freeing up this space to write more about my faith and whatever other random things I feel like. "Claudia" is also my first attempt at using the Wordpress platform, so it will be an interesting learning experience. She'd love it if you paid her a visit!

6 comments:

  1. WOOT new camera. Sad that your old one died. and WOOOOOT last paper! It's just dawning on me that I graduate in a year. AHHH. Real world. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been twelve years since I graduated with my masters, and I have to say that I was tired of school, so ready to move on to the next stage of life, that I never had a teary moment over it. :) Congratulations. It's a great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm camera, candy for the artist's soul! I'm sure you're a whirlwind of emotions right now. God bless your graduation day! Congratulations to your Beau!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Yeah, I am pretty much a whirlwind of emotion, nostalgia, and excitement at getting the heck out of Delaware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a long list of such fun news! (mostly fun news!) This is a super exciting time! Does your new blog mean you're leaving this one? Also, packing stores like UPS tend to take donations of packing materials like peanuts for reuse :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tiffany! I'll have to see if my UPS store wants them. And no, I'm not leaving this blog, just giving myself more online things to procrastinate with.

    ReplyDelete