Wednesday, February 1, 2012

St. Monica Church, New York City

Whenever I'm traveling, I enjoy the chance to check out churches I've never seen before.


During my upper east side adventure visiting a friend last weekend, I went to Sunday Mass at a parish that was conveniently located literally around the corner. St. Monica's church building was begun in the 1880s and completed in 1906. It's in a pretty standard Gothic revival style, but the decorative elements are exceptionally good.




Thanks to recent renovations, the interior really sparkles. The freestanding altar is obviously a post-Vatican II addition, but it complements the original nicely.


The stained glass windows were one of my favorite parts. They seemed very L. C. Tiffany-esque, with their intricate detailing and the soft edges of the pictures. I wish I had had time to photograph all of them.


2 comments:

  1. I hear you about being exhausted. Beautiful pictures though! The church looks gorgeous, but I'm especially loving the rich blue on the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the respite amidst the battle :) These photos are really lovely... loving the altar especially.

    ReplyDelete