Thursday, February 23, 2012

We're getting married!

Now for the good news: what I held off announcing on Ash Wednesday is that The Beau and I are engaged! (Should I call him The Betrothed now?) He popped the question on Friday night, starting off what was definitely the best Birthday/President's Day/Mardi Gras weekend ever.

I had suspected something might be up, but Mark completely surprised me by asking the minute I arrived in New Jersey. My Bolt bus was late, we had to reschedule dinner, the Newark train station was confusing, and then I couldn't find him on the train platform when I arrived. Once the crowd cleared and we met up I was ready to lug my bags off. 

But then he said "Wait, I want to ask you something...do you like sacraments?" 

Then in a moment that was both in slow motion and over too fast, he knelt down and asked if I would like to enter into the sacrament of matrimony with him. I dropped all my bags and managed to squeak out "Are you serious?!?!" and then "Yes, of course!" I proceeded to laugh uncontrollably in disbelief for the next five minutes as we ran to catch our dinner reservation. The next day we called our families, and then hosted a dinner party where we told most of The Betrothed's friends. (This engagement party had been cleverly disguised as a birthday party for me. Sneaky!)

The train platform was really the perfect spot. Not only are trains romantic locations in old movies, but this one is next door to his church. It's the same place where I spied him in the campus ministry center, waiting for me to get back from thesis research in New York. And it's pretty symbolic of our 2.5 year long-distance relationship, punctuated by trips up and down the eastern seaboard. 

My ring is also perfect, which shows how well he knows me. The diamonds are from his grandmother's engagement ring, and he had the setting custom made based on a 1940s design he liked. I'd be a fool to reject a man who can invest such great material culture research. 

Being engaged feels both normal and surreal at the same time. In many ways our relationship is the same it has always been, and yet we can finally speak of hopes and dreams that were under wraps until now. It's so great to talk openly about things from wedding readings to our future children to what kind of drapes we would buy for our home. So the past few days have been full of "OMG we're getting married," "future husband," "future wife," and of course, many recitations of this classic Seinfeld scene

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations!. I love the ring! But then again, it looks awesomely similar to my engagement ring, which was my husband's grandmother's - circa 1941.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! There is nothing like the emotion of that moment when you realize "It's really happening!!!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said it one Facebook, but I'll say it here too: Congrats! I am so excited for you and praying for both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt a huge wave of happiness and contentment when we got engaged because it was just so nice to be able to talk about our future together for real. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Yeah... I guess I Twitter stalk you :)

    Your ring is GORGEOUS, and so thoughtful! As was the proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just occurred to me you may have no idea who I am, lol. I'm the Jill from the UC Supervisor gang. Formerly Jill Matthews, now Jill Ellington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Jill, I was just looking at one of your comments on my old blog. Did you recently get married?

      Delete
    2. Omigosh that's great! Congratulations!

      Delete
  7. Love how he asked, love the ring, love everything! So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that phrase "Do you want to complete a sacrament?" So cute and perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOORAY! Definitely "The Betrothed" and then... "The Husband"? Hm. Let's think of synonyms for "husband" that start with "b" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful engagement story! Congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwwww! (a bit late, sorry, or 'aw' would have been way longer). That's so Mark!! This reads like something out of a classic movie script. Congratulations on your many happy years since! :)

    ReplyDelete