Sunday, April 29, 2012

Can Motherhood and Graduate Degrees Mix?


I'm late to the party for this week's Bright Maidens topic, but I've really been enjoying everyone's contributions. The dilemma of stay-at-home mom vs. working mom is one that I wrestle with. I'm still asking God to show me the proper balance between my scholarly goals and my desire for motherhood.

Source
I'm blessed to have a mother who left her physical therapy career to raise her children full-time. My mom hasn't been formally employed for 27 years, but I've always known that she works as hard as any CEO. Creating a loving home and family is her mission in life, and I admire her dedication to it. As the oldest of 5 kids, I was her assistant from an early age. I'm proud of the skills I've learned at home. I can cook for a crowd, grocery shop strategically, hem pants, plant flowers, paint a living room, and jump-start a car.

On the other hand, I can identify with some women's professional angst . Grad school messes with your head in many ways, and that includes how you think about parenthood. After spending years of blood, sweat, and tears on an advanced degree, all you can think about is getting a job that will let you use it. When you make the "terrible life choice" of grad school, you make a commitment to a field you are passionate about. I didn't set out to follow a different path than my mom, it just happened that way.

When I graduated from college with no marriage prospects, I figured I might as well pay the bills doing something I loved. Thanks to Divine Providence, I started a competitive master's program ... and met my future husband two weeks into the school year. The Betrothed's love for history and Catholic family life both made me fall in love with him. I had happy daydreams of us being one of those faculty couples beloved around campus for their dinner parties, cute kids, campus ministry involvement, and banter-filled joint lectures. Here was someone who understood all the things that I valued, both sacred and secular.

It's sad to see how children can be a professional afterthought for academics. Some people in our fields would say to delay kids until tenure or several job promotions. (Waiting for pregnancy until your late 30s always works out well, right?)


That kind of attitude looks at just half the picture. Scholarly publications can feel like birthing a child, but they don't really go on to have developing lives of their own. They sit on shelves collecting dust until someone makes future grad students read them. Academia doesn't love me back, or need me to teach it what life is about. Sitting alone in an archive is cold and lonely. No one coos about how adorable your Chapter 6 footnotes are. (If they do, they need help.)


When I see examples of women writing dissertations while pregnant, I feel like there is hope in the world. It may not be possible to have it "all," but I would love to try to have at least some. I deeply desire to have a family with my historian fiance, but I have also been fighting long and hard to break into the museum field. Both parts of my life are valuable to me.

Making family a priority might be a counter-cultural choice that will keep me from becoming a super-famous and powerful curator, but I'm ok with that.When I freak out the logistics of my future motherhood, The Betrothed is always level-headed. He reassures me that his professor schedule won't be a typical 9 to 5 gig. Sometimes he'll gently chide me, saying "Hey, you're forgetting that there's another adult in the equation here!" It's so encouraging to know that raising a family is a project we'll tackle together. As Jen Fulweiler recently pointed out, fatherhood is a man's vocation, not his career.

So what kind of mom will I be? I have no idea.  Will The Betrothed and I be able to balance our work schedules so one of us is always home? Will I chase after little ones during the day and then work on a journal article after they're in bed? Will I leave my field altogether, or will I go back for a PhD once the kids are school-aged? It's too soon to tell. For now I just have to keep asking God how I'm supposed to serve him with all my abilities.

Any over-educated moms out there? I'd love to know how/if you balance scholarship and parenthood.

18 comments:

  1. It's tricky, but you can do both you just might not be able to accomplish everything that you originally thought. I took a break from academics to work in my field for almost 5 years and then start a family. I plan to go back (for my MLS btw) next fall but to take it slow, I fully expect it to be at least 4 years before I have my degree. Though ironically I'm getting an "advanced" degree because I see it benefiting my family - having the degree could allow me to work part time and make what I'm currently making (which allows us to live comfortably) and take a little stress off my hard working husband who, lets just say, is not in his current field because of it's lucrative paychecks.

    I think you'll figure the rest out as it comes along - I never thought I'd leave my original field (in the arts), but once I saw that positive sign on the preg. test I got a clear message about how I wanted my life to be for the next couple of years.

    And just remember, there really is no way to "waste" an education. True you might not be doing what you expected four or more years ago, but there's always new ways to share and expand on your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Molly! It's always encouraging to hear that moms don't feel like they're "wasting" their educations. Good luck with the MLS, that sounds like a great plan.

      Delete
    2. My undergrad degree is in theatre - I use it every day and haven't work in my professional field for almost two years. It gave me the ability to manage time and resources, handle out of control, emotional people (adults are so much harder to sooth than a toddler), craft and be self reliant (I know my way around electrics, power tools and a sewing machines thanks to my degree), and live on a shoe string budget. It doesn't hurt that I had a dual major in theatre (education) for youth, to help with the whole "keeping a toddler occupied" part of my days, but I definitely don't feel like I've wasted my education. =D And the goal to become a librarian is aided by the fact that, combined with my current job, I have applied experience in both the arts and medical fields there by opening up the range of possibilities for work once the degree is completed.

      But, what I really wanted to say was that we need more women AND men in academia who will take a stand for the family, or else change will never happen. I'm sure there are a multitude of ways academia could be more open to family life if it was require to do so - there could the perfect opportunity just waiting out there.

      Delete
    3. Haha that's awesome! Now you have me wishing I took more theater classes.
      I completely agree that we need more pro-parenting people in academia. Women had to fight their way in to the ivory tower, now we have to fight for our right to bear children while we're in there. I just don't know if I'm supposed to be one of those people.

      Delete
  2. I'm right there, pregnant in grad school. Luckily, my advisor is helping me graduate before my due date on a very expedited schedule. I adamantly do not want to take a maternity leave: I just want to be done and stay home.

    I've come to terms with the fact that a PhD in neuroscience may be "wasted." I just don't want to sacrifice taking care of my kids based on the fear of "wasting my education."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, way to go finishing early. Just watching my fiance go through dissertation writing is hard enough for me. He's going to take longer than expected.
      I completely respect your putting your kids before your career. Do you think you'll ever miss the intellectual stimulation of neuroscience? That's one of my main worries.

      Delete
  3. I'm lucky in the sense that I am COMPLETELY burned out with my field. Even without the bambino, I was planning to switch careers after this terrible life choice.

    Since I haven't lived it (yet), I'm not sure how valid the "intellectual stimulation" argument is. It almost reminds me of the anti-homeschool argument that the homeschool kids won't ever get socialized. There are creative ways to address both of these concerns, it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm good analogy with the homeschooling. I guess I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I love my kids, but if I only had more intellectual stimulation!" I definitely don't miss doing homework. At all.

      Delete
  4. Sarah, a great post (and on an issue I'm still struggling with four years into marriage). Due to Dan's unemployment and my total lack of funding for next year, I'm feeling some frustration, since we keep running into serious material obstacles to parenthood even though I've let go a lot of my control freak anxiety about it. Once we can be responsible parents financially, I still have no idea what choice I will make as far as employment. I have seen academia be horrible to women who choose to parent, but I do genuinely love universities. Clearly I just need to pray more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MC! I'm sorry you guys are facing so many obstacles right now. You and Dan have always been my icons of powering through academic logistics. Also, letting go of control and needing to pray more = story of my life.

      Delete
  5. It's totally doable. That said, I gave up my dream of grad school when I got married (because my husband was in grad school and at a school at didn't have an interest in going to grad school at - if you're going to do it, do it right, right?). I don't regret it one bit and maybe someday when my kids are (more) grown, I might think about it again. But I know several moms in grad school and probably the hardest aspect of it is how others perceive it. If you have a supportive spouse, it's not a problem. Plus, depending on what you do with a grad degree, some jobs (especially professorates) can be great for raising families. My best friends parents are both professors and she loved their flexible hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, dual professorships would be great, but it's the getting there that's hard. When I finished my master's not going for a PhD yet was an easy choice - committing to something long term would have made our geographic logistics so much harder! Maybe once we're settled down somewhere.

      Delete
  6. Sarah, great post! I was contemplating writing on this topic too. All the comments are good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was fairly successful in undergrad, receiving high marks on my Thesis, getting inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, and lots of praise and encouragement from professors. It seemed grad school was the next step, but I fell in love young and got married right after college to a military man. Babies came fast and moves even faster. There was no time to build a career myself or pursue academia. The family needed an anchor and since my husband had schools and deployments, that responsibility fell on me.

    I love being a mother, I love my kids, I love teaching my kids. However, I think it is hard to go from the academic arena where you are praised or receive high marks for brilliant work. When you are home all day no one pats you on the back or gives you an A for getting the laundry folded and put away. This was very humbling for me. It is also humbling to at times feel judged as lazy or unambitious because you are not "working." I sometimes wish I could go back to school and juggle both motherhood and a career, but I am not one of those who can do both without losing my mind. Plus homeschooling adds an even greater time commitment at home. Some day perhaps, I will have time.

    I think you need to know yourself, recognize what you can handle and know that no matter what way you manage to balance your life, there will always be a tug. If you choose to work full time, you will feel a tug toward home, if you are at home full time you might miss what you do now. Part time work seems to be very satisfying to many mothers and might be a great option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humbling experience of losing the high positive feedback of school may happen even going from academia to the wider job market. (Not that I can talk, I'm still in the bubble, but my husband is an accountant in the "real world.")

      I hope you don't feel like you're missing out too much by mothering your kids. I'm sure the good days with them are better than any stellar performance review you could get at work.

      Delete
  8. I'm the mother of six, one with significant special needs, and 3 yrs ago I completed my MA Theology degree. I have had some type of part time job for most of my marriage. Many stay at home moms volunteer. I found a way to get paid sometimes, which made activities that would otherwise have been impossible, possible. I am currently a working (faculty at CDU)/stay at home mom with an advanced degree and a happy husband & kids -- SWEET! PhD in the future...considering...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and your fiance will be great witnesses as that awesome professor couple with kids who host dinner parties for their students! This may sound harsh, but I tend to think that if you're a crummy mom, in most cases it would not make a difference whether or not you work outside the home. The moms who are really committed and loving will find a way to balance work and home life (hopefully their husbands are also committed fathers who share some of the responsibilities). The moms who ignore their children for their careers might find other distractions (hobbies, volunteering, becoming absorbed in watching soap operas or socializing with their friends) to keep them from their responsibilities as mothers. We need to change hearts by emphasizing that motherhood is unselfish, giving, and loving in everything. Working mothers can be great role models for their children, and can provide their children with excellent opportunities. Stay-at-home moms can work just as hard as working mothers, and their children will appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. I have enjoyed reading your post and all the responses. I have a masters degree and gave up my career for 8 years to stay at home with my kids. I have loved staying home with my amazing kids. I have missed working some and the intellectual stimulation that comes with a career. I do read a lot. Now that both my kids are in elementary school (ages 8 and 6) I am thinking of going back to school and getting a PhD. Any thoughts on grad school with kids these ages and after I have been home for 8 years?

    ReplyDelete