Friday, May 18, 2012

7 Quick Takes, Summer Break Edition

Thanks to Jen at Conversion Diary for hosting!
  1. It really feels like summer break has started. My sister is home from college, my temp job has ended and I have ton of free time, and Brother #2 has finished his master's thesis. Let the movie marathons and outdoor frolicking commence! In the morning, I'm making waffles. 

  2. One of my goals for my time off is to work on the church architecture research that I hope to publish. There are so many interesting new churches with traditional flair in the Arlington diocese. 
  3. St. Raymond of Penafort, one of favorites from my last round of photography. 

  4. The Betrothed and I have set our wedding date! June 15, 2013 will be exactly 3 years and 10 months since we met on the Feast of the Assumption.  

  5. Before I started all this marriage paperwork I had no idea how Catholic churches keep track of their membership. Did you know that the parish where you were baptized keeps the official record of all your sacraments for the rest of your life?  The archival nerd in me is excited about how nationally organized this is. So I had to call a church across the country in Arizona where I have not been in 26 years. "Ok we'll call you when your baptismal certificate is ready and you can pick it up!" Umm, yeah, about that. 

  6. Speaking of wedding prep, I signed up for Weight Watchers online this week. Cliche bride activity, I know. But I have a big goal to reach, and it's nice to someone else calculate things for me. Anyone have advice about how to succeed with the program?

  7. Last week I went to the Young Professional's Happy Hour at the Catholic Information Center downtown. It's a bookstore and chapel run by Opus Dei, and it has by far the best Catholic book selection I've seen in the area outside of a shrine gift shop. As an added bonus, Dr. Helen Alvare was the speaker. She pretty much knocked my socks off with her legal arguments about religious freedom. I kind of want to be her when I grow up. Listen to a podcast of her talk here - you will not be disappointed. 

  8. Thank you for all of the great comments on my post about being underemployed. It's good to know other people are dealing with the same challenges of trusting God's plan. Speaking of which, while wandering from the Metro to the CIC, I passed this banner on a Christian Scientist building. It made me smile. 

5 comments:

  1. Re: #4, Yes, being an archivist I thought that was pretty cool when we were getting our Baptismal certs. I think the Church you get married at should send some official record back to your Baptismal parishes. I think our priest mentioned that (he may have meant just as a courtesy, but still, that is good).I am glad that the Catholic Church is so diligent in record-keeping. I think Canon Law requires preserving Sacramental records, if I am correct, which is pretty cool.
    Here's a factoid: I also recently learned that Canon Law requires every diocese to have an archivist, and if they can't, then that role falls to the Chancellor.
    I would love to have wonderfully nerd-tastic discussion about the preservation of Church records.
    I thank you much for including this worthy topic in your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool about diocesan archivists, I did not know that! Thanks for appreciating my nerdiness!

      Delete
  2. Goodness that church is beautiful, post more of those pictures when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, how did you not know that me, your future sister in law, is a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers? I joined after I had Miriam and I lost 42 pounds. Went to the meetings and everything. I have tons of the materials and all if you want me to send you some stuff. Cookbooks, recipes, etc. Of course, in this day and age, you can find most of that online.

    In fact, I am about to start following the plan unofficially again...I need to lose 10 pounds or so to be back at my goal weight. Let's chat and figure out a way to get started together. Phone calls/emails for accountability, etc. I need a buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a blog post about how to lose weight! And I'm doing WW too so it's been a good experience! I lost 20 so far, and need to lose 18 more to get to my goal :)
    I think all of us could be accountability partners :)

    ReplyDelete