Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010:The Year of Travel

8 airports, 16 states, and one foreign country make the grand total. I've been to London, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa, Alexandria, Washington DC, New Orleans, St. Louis, Charleston, Hartford, Newport, New York, Philadelphia, and Williamsburg. I've spent hours in planes, trains, and cars. I've logged thousands of miles. I hadn't realized grad school would turn me into such a globe trotter.

So it is most fitting that I spent the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011 as a nomad, bouncing from one location to another. Part of it was planned - a fantastic 5 days with The Beau and his family that culminated in watching New Year's Eve fireworks from the bell tower of the New Orleans cathedral. Then things got unexpected as I discovered how incompetent AirTran airlines can be. A canceled connecting flight from Atlanta meant that I did not make it home in time for the annual New Year's day ham supper. Instead, I got rerouted to Tampa, and am now on my way from there to Baltimore, from where I will take a shuttle of some sort. At this point, I would not be surprised if there were a stagecoach involved.

BUT as a surprise burst of Divine Providence, my Tamp layover meant I got to spend the day with my dear friends K&J and their three kiddos. We kept joking that I was playing Mary Poppins - I flew into town in the dead of night, and when the kids awoke I was there ready to play. I ended up helping keep track of everyone at a birthday party. I even assembled a kite - no joke. I almost expected to find Dick van Dyke dancing with some penguins. Then the winds changed and I was off in the air again.

The school-funded trips will end, but 2011 will see the nomading continue as I graduate (yikes!) and figure out where I will have a job. I hope the road continues to stumble on such fun surprises.

3 comments:

  1. HAHA!! I also tend to include that "yikes" any time the phrase: "I graduate next semester..." comes out of my mouth.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i found the marry poppins tid bit extra funny. thanks for that!
    good luck with graduation! i am so jealous that you travel so much! what are you studying? and where you going to school? so that i can do the same thing?
    haha

    glad you made it home okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, we are totally in the same boat. I may be more educated, but you have way more marketable skills.

    Corey, I study material culture at the University of Delaware- kindof like art history, American history, and antiques roadshow in a blender, along with a dose of finishing school.

    ReplyDelete