Friday, January 7, 2011

Material Culture Alert: Travel bags

True confessions: I am a tote bag addict. Ever since I started carrying books in them in college, I've accumulated almost a dozen different bags of various materials. They range from a Duaghters of Charity grocery tote to a Vera Bradley that was a birthday gift. Lately I've been a fan of a fleur-de-lis print bag from The Beau's mom.
Sadly, I am also a tote bag destroyer. Thanks to my heavy computer and tendency to carry a million books, I've busted the straps on two stylish bags and worn out countless others. I can never find exactly the right fit, so I keep collecting more totes..   

So after ruining the straps of my last two computer bags, I decided to abandon cuteness for total practicality. The savvy laptop tote from eBags.com has proven to be some of the best $40 I ever spent. Its rugged straps are firmly attached and won't dig into my shoulder. There are a gazillion pockets, including side hatches for bulky water bottles and umbrellas. There is even a strap on the back for attaching it to a suitcase handle!

Though plain looking, this awesome bag can hold my big laptop along with tons of other items and still fit under the seat of a plane. The nylon construction means it is waterproof and not too heavy on its own. Seriously, I cannot say enough good things about it, or how glad I was to have it on my 4 airport journey this weekend. If it's not your style, eBags has a laptop bag finder widget where you can search their huge inventory by computer model.
I promise not to become one of those bloggers who is always shilling products, and eBags was in no way involved in this review, but I couldn't help wanting to spread the word about my trusty traveling companion.

2 comments:

  1. oooh! I love this. And need a new tote. By the way, I really love your blog. Thanks for following mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful piece of information! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy New Year -- it was nice to see you over Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete