Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Travel Files: Pittsburgh

I'm still recovering a little from our joint class trip to Pittsburgh. There we encountered fine art, Victorian mansions, modernist masterpieces, Gilded-Age industrial intrigue, romantically tragic suicides, waterfalls, bedazzled wallpaper, and ketchup. Plus dinosaur bones and life-size blue whale hearts, which made me want to be a scientist just a little bit.

One of my St. Louis housemates was a Pittsburgh native, so I had heard a lot about how awesome the city was. She was not exaggerating. Just driving around I was impressed by how much history and character the city had. There is definitely an "up-and-coming" vibe, and everyone we met talked about how much they enjoyed living there. I especially enjoyed how the museums we visited are making the most of some random stuff and playing up their unique strengths. It seems pretty practical - when you pair art with natural history, or sports history with glass manufacture and colonial wars, you will get a diverse range of guests and thus sell more tickets.

Did you know Mr. Rogers and Heinz both started in Pittsburgh? Neither did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment