Monday, November 1, 2010

Modernist Monday - Conference Edition

While I was sanely attending conference panels instead of rallies this weekend, I learned about some awesomely crazy modern architecture. A few years ago Chanel decided to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the classic 2.55 bag with a mobile art exhibit. The resulting UFO-like building was designed by celebrity architect Zaha Hadid. I had never heard of her before I went to grad school, but now I find her work very entertaining. Just say her name out - even that sounds fun.

So here she is with Karl Lagerfeld in her fashion-inspired building that can be dis-assembled into 56 crates of materials. Apparently it was the hot place to be in Central Park for a while. Note how the lines on the walls look like the seams on the iconic quilted handbag.



Isn't that fabulous? It makes me imagine Karl and Zaha in one of the Fug Girls' imagined dialogues. Karl would say something like "Fashion is architecture for the body. BUILD." or "Your presence decorates the walls of your creation. CONNOISE."

No comments:

Post a Comment