Friday, September 16, 2011

7 Quick Takes of a Lotus-Eating Summer

Well gosh, that blogging break was longer than I planned. It's been a weird few months since I finished grad school, and I've needed some time to reflect on all the changes in my life. I have a recurring feeling that I am on the island of the Lotus Eaters from the Odyssey: in the familiar comforts of home, I quickly forget what my previous life was like. Classes, the library, museum catalogs, blog posts, even visits from The Beau have felt very far away once I returned to my childhood home. It's a lazy, very unsettling feeling.

On the other hand, moving back home to northern Virginia has been a blessing in many ways. As I drive around the suburbs, passing familiar elementary schools, churches, and shopping centers makes my life flash before my eyes. There have been some great new developments as well. So here's what I did on my summer vacation.

  • Attended two weddings, one of which involved an epic road trip with my grad school classmates, who are like the 7 siblings I never had. 
  • Became an American History curriculum consultant for some homeschoolers. I have a new appreciation for textbook authors who can actually add interesting narrative details. 
  • Attended the funeral of Dr. Warren Carroll, a warrior for the Truth and the first professor I ever heard lecture. He and his wife Anne are two of my greatest historian role models. 
  • Threw out my back, and spent several hermit-like weeks at the mercy of a chiropractor. Having someone make your neck crack at 8am can actually be cool. 
  • Took a spontaneous trip to Chicago to visit relatives I had not seen in 2 years. 
  • Contrary to my fears, did not shrivel up and die of misery when The Beau went to England for 6 weeks of dissertation research on martyrdom. I went to adoration and wrote him letters, he befriended senior citizens at church and sent me postcards. I don't miss the 5 hour Skype time difference though. 
  •  And now, for something completely different - I  got a job as an accounting clerk that has actually turned out to be pretty awesome. Something like half the employees at this software company are Steubenville alumni, which means I have a nice Catholic community in the office. Also, reconciling credit card statements is surprisingly satisfying. Invoice filing has also inspired me to be more vigilant about my own finances. I now monitor my accounts using Mint.com, a free, secure, online version of Quicken that I highly recommend. 
Now that I'm a working girl, I'm excited to resume blogging as a creative outlet. Stay tuned for reflections on homeschooling, Mormons, and random song lyrics.

2 comments:

  1. What about random song lyrics about homeschooling Mormoms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see a fellow church photography hobbiest! Thanks for your comment at my place. Also, it sounds like you're from NoVA - I'm from there too, although I now reside in the midwest. I still visit family there a few times a year though, and I truly do miss it.

    ReplyDelete