Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Long Advent Season of the Heart


“I am the Savior of all people, says the Lord. 
Whatever their troubles, I will answer their 
cry, and I will always be their Lord.”
 - Mass entrance Antiphon for September 18

It is a fact universally acknowledged that the road to romantic happiness can be a long one. Ask any single person in their twenties, and they'll tell you of lonely wonderings when/if they will find "true love." I think this is especially true for young Catholics. If you place a high value on self-giving love and marriage as a sacrament, it's hard to feel somewhat powerless in your wait for that vocation to become reality.

Sometimes there is the temptation to complain "Why me?" or "Why not me?"
"Hey God, I go to daily Mass, I'm chaste. So why am I still waiting for true love while everyone on my Facebook feed gets married and has babies?"
"Why is my relationship hampered by distance, while that couple lives in the same town and get to see each other every day?"
"Why do I see friends zip to the altar through whirlwind courtships, only to have graduate school and finances delay my dreams?"
(Edit: I took out that last hypothetical sentence about break-ups, because it gave the very false impression that The Beau and I are through.)

It's possible to rejoice in friends' happiness and still feel a cruel twinge of sorrow that your turn hasn't come yet. For me, social media updates can be a slippery slope into envious comparisons. This Sunday's readings were a good reality check. Look at the parable of the vinyard workers - does it matter what God gives to other people? No.

The lesson of that parable in Matthew's Gospel is clear - stop looking around to check out what everyone else has. That makes you forget what you do have. Life is not a race, or a competition. God will give you what He has promised, and that is all you ever need.

This first reading, from Isaiah 55, had a similar sentiment.


For my thoughts are not your thoughts,nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.


That statement is not a boast, but a reassurance. God has a plan beyond what our feeble minds and hearts can see at the moment.







1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Catching up on your blog from Russia. This post reminded me of the days when Dan and I were long-distance married and how frustrating it was to have friends who lived with their spouses, etc. It's hard to stay patient and trust. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete