Thursday, November 17, 2011

Occupy These 7 Quick Takes, Vol. 14


--- 1 ---
I have been blown away by the thoughtful comments on my Mormonpalooza post about the shiny, happy evangelization of Mormon housewife blogs. You ladies had some great insights, and showed me I didn't have it all figured out. Keep it coming!
--- 2 ---
All my late-night Mormonpalooza writing has made me realize that I am in academic writing withdrawal. Compared to my scattershot short posts this time last year, I am practically an essayist here. I never thought this day would come, but I actually miss collecting footnotes and outlining dozens of pages.
--- 3 ---
True confession: I have seen all the Twilight movies on opening night, but I don't really care that I wont see Breaking Dawn. The protagonists are so insufferable that at this point I'm Team Charlie, Bella's bewildered dad.
--- 4 ---
Last weekend my family survived the epic matchup of Oldsmobile vs. Bambi. On the way to an engineering open house at Virginia Tech, Brother #2 and my Dad got a lesson in the physics of collisions. Now we have a totaled car and a teenage concussion, but the deer is missing a leg. I'd call that even. Also, the iPhone flashlight app is very useful in times like this.


--- 5 ---
In happier news, The Beau passed his dissertation defense with flying colors! Now comes the fun part of writing several hundred pages on representations of martyrdom in late 17th century England.
--- 6 ---
When I look at coverage of Occupy Wall Street, I see 19th century revolutionary protests. He sees the late Stuart period. I love when we have nerdy conversations like this one:
 Him: "I should just take the train up [to NYC] and get myself arrested. I'm studying 50 feet from the station."
Me: "I don't know if I would have enough money to bail you out...But I would publish a pamphlet with woodcut illustrations about your ordeal!"
Him:"I am intrigued by this account of the protestors pointing at blood on the ground saying 'That's our blood!' Did they dip cloth in it and keep it [like a 17th century person would]?"  
--- 7 ---
The soundtrack of The Mission makes for epic invoicing background music. The only thing better than Jeremy Irons' voice is Jeremy Irons as a Jesuit priest.

Via BritishCinemaGreats.com


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment