Friday, November 4, 2011

Facebook has boundaries issues

This week's Bright Maidens topic is about PDA in the digital age. Here are my two cents.

StuffChristianCultureLikes.Com
We've all seen it in our Facebook news feeds. The sappy  wall posts. The albums of smchoopy, kissy face photos. The googly-eyed status updates about how crazy in love they are with their amazing significant other. Liberal use of the nickname "Pookie," which should not be applied to anyone over age 5.

Sometimes, internet-age oversharing makes me want to gag.

Thanks to reality TV and Mark Zuckerberg's persistent idea that we want to publish the minutiae of our lives, seeing intimate moments play out in public seems normal. On dating game shows like the Bachelorette and Flavor of Love, an entire nation can watch a semi-celebrity go one dates and whispers sweet nothings with not just one, but multiple people. Thanks to social media, we can eavesdrop on personal wall conversations and see the details of someone's vacation without talking to them. So is it any wonder that internet PDA can seem like a requisite part of a "real" relationship? That if you don't brag about it on Facebook, it isn't official?

Sure, when you first fall for someone or get eneaged, you want to shout it from the rooftops. You tell all your friends, gush about how you're in love with a wonderful guy, or scream "I love this woman" in an Italian piazza. An FB post about your 10th anniversary can be a great witness to the commitment marriage requires. And sweet understated gestures like holding hands or an arm across the back of their chair shows the world you are proud to be connected to the person you love.

Still, your friends want to focus on the intimate, day-to-day events of their own families and relationships. I think perpetrators of online PDA need to consider why they are using that medium. Wouldn't a private text message, email, or FB message be just as effective? Does this show a simple lack of boundaries or a deeper need to brag about how awesome one's life is? Especially as Christians, do we need to one-up each other with declarations about "God's perfect plan for my life," or how "blessed" we are?

Just a thought. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to visit The Beau in New Jersey for the weekend. I won't bore you with the details :-P

6 comments:

  1. Mwahaha. I love it.

    But then here is the question: what is the whole point of Facebook if not Christian one-upping? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! I think you're right, it's about bragging. Not the blunt kind where one says "But my car is better than yours." but the more Mean Girls type of bragging, where they don't even recognize that they're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How different is this than the age-old annual Christmas letter? Is it sharing with the masses in the easiest medium possible or is it bragging? In any written medium tone can be misconstrued, but then again, if you have a personal relationship with someone, tone is received loud and clear. You know what they mean. You can hear your mother's voice and all of her multi-level implications in one short sentence (I am eternally grateful my mom has abandoned her facebook efforts).

    In all of my blathering I think I failed to state - "totally agree with you" wait... is there a LIKE button?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH! My Dad called B. and played that South Pacific for him, telling him I was prancing around the office singing this song to myself. He almost believed Dad, too. Well, the singing part- I am! ;) The second to last graf said it best, I think. Have fun this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. This is so true!

    ReplyDelete