Friday, November 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes Vol. 13?


--- 1 ---
I have Veteran's Day off, something I didn't realize until three days ago. This morning I am thinking about World War I (since this was originally Armistice Day), and considering a donation to the Wounded Warrior Project.
--- 2 ---
Speaking of veterans, I finally visited the Stonewall Jackson Shrine that randomly lurks off I-95. Check out my post about it on my museum blog.

--- 3 ---
Last night I turned to Brother #3 and said, "In the morning, I'm makin' WAFFLES!" Our parents have this sweet George Foreman grill with waffle iron plates. You don't even need non-stick spray! My last GF waffle experiment was quickly gobbled up by even the normal eaters.
--- 4 ---
It even has POCKETS!
This week I reached an adult milestone: I now own a wool-blend suit. Like the kind professional people wear. All those Anne Taylor Loft sale emails were not total spam. This is the jacket, and there are pants to match.
My Fall fashion mantra is, "A jacket covers a multitude of sins." Seriously, pair a blazer with a cute necklace and no one will notice your faded jeans or the fact that you lost a shirt button on your way to work.
--- 5 ---
By this time next week, The Beau should be ABD! That's academese for "all but dissertation," meaning your coursework and qualifying exams are done and your advisors have approved your research proposal. Please say a prayer for him, because there are few things more nerve-racking than asking someone to validate your life plan.
--- 6 ---
On a happier note, my job is still awesome. We accountants are usually the last to leave, so by 5:30pm things get a little loopy. This week we had a stirring group rendition of "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," which prompted our new Russian team member to retaliate with YouTube videos of dancing Cossacks.
--- 7 ---
I've been pondering it for a while, but I've decided it's time to make this happen: next week is going to be Mormonpalooza on this blog. The LDS Church fascinates me, so I'm going to ponder their role in modern American pop culture. I'd love for you to check it out next week!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for you Mormonpalooza. I too have always been fascinated by the religion. My husband's best friend is Mormon (Community of Christ, not LDS) and I've always been curious about it. Especially after hearing about the play 'The Book of Mormon' which is I'm sure a horrible misrepresentation.

    Also, love that jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live closer and make waffles for me! yeah yeah, I know how to do it myself but like OPB (other people's beer) it's better when you don't have to make/buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for the Beau. I remember how nervewracking my candidacy exams were and how high on stress I was for the last week in particular.

    On another note, the Stonewall Jackson shrine is an exit close to the one to my parents' house in Fredericksburg, so Dan always jokes about wanting to go. I will point him to your post.

    ReplyDelete