Monday, March 28, 2011

The District's siren song

This weekend I got to go home to Virginia for a weekend's worth of spring break. (Thanks to thesis a week off just means more time to edit.) It was a great break that involved attending a Confirmation Mass, pigging out on barbeque, being the only table of white people in a legit Cantonese restaurant, and catching up with girlfriends from high school and my VSC year.

From anadelmann's Flickr
There was also a lot of driving. On Saturday morning, I dropped Brother #1 off for a flight at Reagan National, and on the drive back I could see the DC skyline in the distance. Something about the outline of the Washington Monument and Capitol building always makes my heart skip a beat. There were even cherry trees blooming! Oh DC, why must you tease me so? Part of me really, really wants to work there next year. I want to Metro downtown every morning, reading library books and being part of the commuter hustle. I want to cook dinner for my parents and to see my brothers serve at Sunday Mass.I want to have a young adult church community.  I want to see my old friends on the weekends. Part of me will always be left in the national capital area. Whenever I go back there, life makes more sense and my faith is stronger; I feel safe, optimistic,and  inspired.

1 comment:

  1. Well, if you do end up working here then I want to meet you!

    ReplyDelete