Friday, March 4, 2011

7 Things I Love About Williamsburg




  1. The smells - boxwood, musty buildings, honey almond soaps, the campfire aroma that has been stuck in my hair since we got to the historic area.
  2. It's pretty much impossible to walk around DOG Street or the WM old campus and not have a great-looking building.in view.
  3. The historic trades interpreters, who keep it real while wearing breeches and petticoats. In every shop you can hear snarky humor and funny stories about their past lives. They'll crack jokes at the blacksmith's expense, then tell you to visit their Facebook page.
  4. The glee of introducing new people to the secret nook of goodness that is the Raleigh Tavern Bake Shop.
  5. Using a pseudonym to help identify your sandwich order among the hordes at the Cheese Shop (which now has a gluten free bagel option, huzzah!)
  6. Walking down DOG street at night while looking at the stars. 
  7. No matter how many old friends I get to see, it always, always feels like coming home.

4 comments:

  1. Yes to all of these, especially 1, 4 and 6 (and 7, but that goes without saying). Every time I smell boxwood I think of Williamsburg. And I could really go for some queen's cake and cider now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so great. I had Cheese Shop stored in my phone. I would just call in and order from outside the building and pick it up at the side window.

    Virginia ham, house dressing, swiss on focaccia. THat was my favorite. But when they are super busy they cut the focaccia into smaller pieces, so in that case I go with french.

    Bag of route 11 potato chips and a Chowning's ginger ale. HEAVEN! I haven't been back since I graduate, but I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete