Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ten Facts about Me and The Beau


Betty Beguiles has this fun feature "about me and my better half" going on her blog, so I though I'd join in. Here are some fun facts about me and The Beau, who's really been deserving a better explanation for a while.
  1. He's a New Orleans native, I'm a Virginian. So how did we end up long-distance dating in the northeast? Grad school and the OK Cupid dating website. 
  2. He got my attention in his first email message by asking if I'd seen the new Sense and Sensibility adaptation. (He later admitted this was a calculated move.) Then I got his attention by agreeing that William III and Mary II totally stole the English throne from her Catholic father James II. Thus a history nerd romance was born. 
  3. Our first date was on the feast of the Assumption, August 15, 2009. Meeting for coffee and dinner turned into six hours of conversation before he finally drove back to New Jersey. 
  4. His blog nickname comes from the brief period before we were "Facebook official" and I needed some way to describe "That guy who drove 2 hours to meet me at Brew-Ha-Ha" to my classmates. "The Beau" seemed appropriately olde timey. 
  5. We both love photography, so many of our early dates involved taking pictures in parks and on my museum grounds. Then my DSLR broke and school got crazy, so we need to get back into that.
  6. Before we met he didn't know anything about gluten-intolerance, but he's been amazingly supportive about it. He's even gotten me to be more assertive asking about ingredients in restaurants! The day we figured out how to make gumbo with a GF roux was a big victory. 
  7. He went to Jesuit High School in New Orleans, so the Jesuits are a big part of his spirituality. I've got a Vincentian background, so we educate each other. 
  8. Due to geographic distance, our moms have never met, but we are pretty sure they are almost the same person. Bonus: my mom was taught by Jesuits at SLU, his mom has a Vincentian confessor. 
  9. This summer and fall he will be in London doing history dissertation research. At first I dreaded it horribly, but I've gradually become more peaceful about it and more excited for him to have this opportunity. 
  10. Ever since our third date (when we became Facebook official) we like to hold hands during the homily at Mass - except when he's in the choir loft at his parish.

5 comments:

  1. "Thus a history nerd romance was born." Possibly the best thing I've read this week! God bless you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be uber-sketchy of me to say that I love your relationship due to this post, right?

    Ehem. Anyway, long distance stinks. I hope you'll get the chance to visit him and have some London fun while he's there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    So sweet! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your encouragement about being GF. My husband actaully HAS to but came along for the ride this Lent. Then a funny thing happened - I started feeling better and the little tummy troubles I was having that I thought was something else, well they are gone.

    You are right, there are so many wonderful resources and foods available today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw this and I think it is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late to this post- but I just had to laugh about his 'calculate move' with Sense and Sensibility! My brother did the same thing with Anne of Green gables (1st movie great, 2nd movie very good- 3rd movie don't even ask or all the women in his life will burst into tears)

    ReplyDelete