Monday, July 19, 2010

Modernist Monday

Since I was in St. Louis this weekend, today's installment has to be THE ARCH. Designed by modernist master Eero Saarinen in 1947, it wasn't completed until 1967, after his death. Today it stands as a symbol of the city that is the "Gateway to the West."


After living in STL for a year, I feel like I have a relationship with this structure. It was pretty much love at first sight. Sleek, shapely, and shiny, this silver fox will win you over with photogenic good looks. My roommates have been known to greet him/her/it with a "Heyyyy Arch, lookin' fine!"

The arch is hands down one of the finest public monuments I've ever seen. It truly belongs to everyone in the city. Even if you're not at the riverfront, you can catch glimpses from tall buildings and highway ramps. I've used it as a directional beacon on many drives around town. One of my favorite views is heading east on Market Street with the Arch beckoning in the distance. It's a loyal and sturdy friend, always offering a greeting and reminding you of what a great city you are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment