Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Craft time update

I'm officially half-way through volunteering at Urban Promise summer camp. By now I feel like I've hit my stride and the kids know me. They constantly surprise me with their random questions and their artisitic creativity.

This week's projects, mosaics made of dried beans, was a big hit. For the first time the group stayed occupied almost until the end of the hour! Some kids made hearts or crosses; others did abstract designs of circles, etc. The older girls, who are approaching middle school and starting to exhibit teen herd behavior, got really elaborate with border designs and spelling out names of friends. One boy labored for half an hour on a portrait of his mom. A few kids got on a roll and blew through six paper plate frames.

I was surprised that barely any of the campers knew what mosaics were. I'm glad I could teach them something new. Visual aid pictures to pass around are always a big hit. Of course this week, I had to include a shot of the St. Louis Cathedral Basilica, which houses the largest collection of mosaics in the world. I hope I'll stop there this weekend, when my VSC roommates and I converge on the STL for a reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment