Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Almost real museum people

Yesterday  I did a guest post/ interview for the Museumist blog's "I'm a museum person" feature. Check out the rest of the entries; It's interesting to hear from people in all sorts of museums and graduate programs. It's also interesting that all of the participants are women. That's definitely a trend in museum studies today, but it wasn't always the case. In past generations, being a curator expert was a man's job; women were simply tour guide "hostesses." Sometimes I can spot remains of the old boy's club, but for the most part women are respected for their intelligence and scholarship.Now its the male museum students who are an endangered species, but that's another story.

In other news, today I took a big official step towards graduation- I turned in my "application for advanced degree" form. It felt really satisfying and exciting to deliver a list of all the classes I've taken, stamped with my professor's approving signatures.It's also a little scary, since it means I'm that much closer to the end - only a month and a half before my final thesis draft is due! I had a lot of conversations with The Beau and classmates today about how we're sick of the grad school grind. Real adult life is so close and tempting. We'll just have to keep marching on together to that promised land.

For this dance we’ll move with each other.
There ain’t no other step than one foot,
Right in front of the other.

There’s so many wars we fought,

There’s so many things we’re not,
But with what we have,
I promise you that,
We’re marching on...



No comments:

Post a Comment