Monday, February 7, 2011

Modernist Monday - Libraries

All my inter-semester for-fun reading has been possible thanks to Delaware's New Castle County library system. The only drawback is their pesky 6 month probation period for new members. I can only check out 12 items at a time, with three audio-visual items at most. What, are they afraid I'm just there to pirate their DVDs? That I will return books scribbled with crayon? Happily, my probation ends next week. To celebrate, I'm posting pictures of the very cool looking library branches I like to visit.

Brandywine Hundred is my usual stop. I love how it combines glass and steel with the stonework traditional in this region.


On each pillar of the back loggia is a plaque explaining an article from the Bill of Rights. 


The Kirkwood Highway branch is farther away, so its my alternative destination if I'm going to campus and want a book Brandywine doesn't have. This is a more modernist building, and was just finished last year. Unlike Brandywine, it is only one story. The tall ceiling is deceptive.



Both branches have nice outdoor seating areas that seem to get a lot of use in warm weather.  You can see Kirkwood's surrounded by that little flagstone fence.


Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go home and read some more books wrapped in those crinkly plastic covers. I love that sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment