Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How writing a master's thesis is sort-of like having a baby

From PhD Comics
  1. It takes about nine months for the whole thing to take shape.
  2. The idea of it is a little scary and intimidating, but hey, lots of other people have done it and survived. 
  3. There are mood swings and bouts of nausea along the way.  
  4. You might want to blog/tweet updates at every stage of progress. (I will shut up about my research soon, I swear :-)
  5. You are likely to eat random food,  and sit around the house in your most comfortable pants.
  6. You'll probably change your mind a few times about the best name for it.
  7. As your due date approaches, household tasks suddenly become really fascinating. (Seriously, I cannot stop cooking and doing laundry.)
  8. You stay up in the middle of the night tending to it. 
  9. In the end, you are proud of what you have made and hope other people love it as much as you do. 
  10. You have to let go and send it off into the wide world for other people to take care of - giving my program director a copy of my draft today feels like sending my child off on the school bus for the first day of kindergarten. 
Source
    After I started working on this post I discovered that there's a fantastic blog, From Punk to Monk, with some similar posts  Check out Homeboy McCoy's hilarious list of "Top 10 Things Not to Bring to the Monastery."

    **No, I'm not pregnant, but I've certainly seen what it's like. Plus when you spend a year working with maternity ward nurses you have far too many TMI medical conversations over lunch. (I miss you ladies!) **

      4 comments:

      1. This is AWESOME. My thesis grew from a morning sickness-inducing unborn child to a toddler who ate everything (my sleep, my sanity, my good looks...) in sight. Everything on this list is so true!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Wow, thanks for the link!

        ReplyDelete
      3. I'm no longer in grad school, but I think I did pretty much every one of those things. My biggest problems were having overwhelming desires to cook throughout the day (or just to eat whatever I could find), and like you, I suddenly found everything else I had to do around the house fascinating. One day I even sorted through a pile of stuff that had been sitting on my couch for over 8 months, because when I had to do my research, anything looked more enticing. :-)

        ReplyDelete
      4. I LOVE the comparison. I wrote a thesis for my undergrad. It is my child.

        ReplyDelete