Friday, November 16, 2012

7 Things About Funemployment

So I don't work downtown anymore. The tourist busy season is winding down, so a bunch of us got laid off. We knew this was coming, but still, it's hard out here for a temp. Being unemployed has been an unexpected blessing in some ways. Here's what I've been grateful for these past two weeks. 

A "Staff Only" staircase
  1. Having access to an amazing historic place. There are few greater museum thrills than getting to go through the "authorized personnel only" door. I feel like I leave a little piece of my heart behind in every historic place that is "mine" for a short time. Whenever I return to Colonial Williamsburg or Winterthur it feels a little like coming home. This latest installment is no exception. On my last two days I ran around taking pictures of all the beautiful places that would soon be off limits. 

  2. The wonderful people I met at work. Most people were in their 20s and starting out, or 40+ and winding down. It was an interesting dynamic of 100 or so folks, everyone with a different interesting background.  Standing around on post all day gave us plenty of time to tell our stories. I felt like Bill Murray in the Groundhog Day diner scene - I could share some random fact about every person in the room.
  3. "Maybe God isn't omniscient, maybe he's just been around so long he knows everything."

  4. Not even realizing how lucky I was to know them. One of my favorite coworkers, a big, jovial Civil War buff who brought in barbecue on holidays, tragically died in his sleep last weekend. It's hard to believe such a dynamic and encouraging presence is gone. But the outpouring of support and memories on Facebook from the community has been amazing. Rest in peace, Tony. I'll always remember when that tourist planted a wet one on my face after you got him last-minute tickets.

  5. Getting a rest. I spent three hours of every day commuting. Thank goodness for the bus and Metro systems, but leaving my house in the dark at 6:30 AM was getting old. So was battling the rush hour crowds. One day a lady in a suit told me I needed to be more aggressive getting a seat. I took her advice to heart, but I resisted the urge to whale on anyone with my lunchbag. 

  6. A surprise FTD box on my doorstep election night. If I hadn't gone out for an errand I would have missed it. "Happy carpooling and fulfillment of civic duties," said the card from my fiance. 



  7. Rediscovering my hobbies. I've baked two kinds of gluten free bread (fennel seeds and raisins FTW), I've watched movies on Netflix, I've checked out more library books than I can carry. Oh yeah, and blogging. 

  8. The opportunity for something new. I have a spreadsheet full of job opportunities. Fire up the novenas. 
Visit Jen for more Quick Takes!


2 comments:

  1. Aww those are so sweet! And I'm praying for the loss of your coworker!

    ReplyDelete