Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thank You

It's no secret that long-distance relationships are tough. Holidays are one of the worst parts. I usually forget this until the day rolls around, then the loneliness makes me remember. 

There are so many festive things my fiance and I have never done together. We've never decorated a Christmas tree, or carved pumpkins, or dyed Easter eggs. We've watched fireworks together once. Our first Valentine's Day was postponed because of a snowstorm and car trouble. We've never fasted or worn ashes in the same place. We're always apart on Christmas and Easter - we make do with Gaudete and Palm Sunday. Ringing in the New Year works out, but only after a pricey solo flight to his hometown. We still have fun even if we have to go to celebrations alone, but it's hard not to spend special days with the person you love most. Things will be so much easier when we are making our travel and celebration plans together.


Thankfully, Thanksgiving has always been ours. Three years ago, we had known each other only three months, but he drove down with me to meet my family. Today will be the fourth time he's eaten turkey off my parents' wedding china and played board games with my siblings on Black Friday. And so, I'm grateful. 

- for how my family has always welcomed the man I love into our home and our traditions
- for having my entire family all together in one place for the first time in months
- that this is our last holiday season playing schedule tetris and crossing fingers that we can see each other
- that I have time to visit my fiance next week, too
- that we can work together in the kitchen making sweet potato casserole
- that God sent a funny, handsome historian who would drive almost 500 round trip miles up and down the east coast, just to wind up at my door. And then next month drive 500 more. Happy Thanksgiving, sweetheart. I love you!




1 comment:

  1. <3 Love it. So excited for you two to spend every holiday together!

    ReplyDelete