Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mindy Kaling vindicates my love for Nora Ephron

One of my first posts on this blog was about You've Got Mail, one of my favorite movies. I know, it's not entirely intellectual or edgy. If you knew Meg Ryan's character in real life you'd probably think she was too perky, and Tom Hanks never does apologize for closing down her bookstore. But you know what? It's also funny and clever, with a comforting, friendly atmosphere.

In a recent interview with new New York Magazine, awesome writer and actor for The Office Mindy Kaling revealed that she totally agrees with me. The movie made her fall in love with New York City when she was 18. Even watching 15 minute intervals brightens her day!

Mindy has a good point that the female characters are realistically normal and *gasp* modest. Theirs is not a world populated by standard-issue hotties with too much hair styling and not enough blouse fabric. "A lot of comedies now have to be R-rated sex comedies. Do you even see anything other than Meg Ryan's wrists in You've Got Mail? She dresses like a female comedy writer - nothing is fitted, everything is four sizes too big."

Oh Mindy, how are you so brilliant? "Ninety percent of the time I'm having romantic comedy fantasies in which I'm wearing little pencil skirts hurrying to the subway. " How did you know that's what motivated me to hurry off to the museum this morning? I think we need to have a fashion show! Fashion show! Fashion show at lunch!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah, thanks for commenting on my blog. If I can ever do anything for you, let me know! Oh, and I love Mindy Kaling on The Office. I think she should become the boss after Michael leaves...or not.

    ReplyDelete